Tony's Training Log

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Tony's Training Log

Postby TonyWilson » 30 Dec 2011 16:01

I realised today, whilst getting ready to go on the turbo, that I haven't actually rode my bike since the event in October, which is a bit shameful really all things considered. The purpose of todays ride was to establish some accurate (as can be anyway) training zones, to allow for a more structured approach to next seasons efforts, so I planned a FTP/LTHR test, using TrainerRoad. It was the first time I've used this, and I'm really impressed. Using the Garmin speed/cadence sensor and heart rate monitor, it somehow calculates power output, which is supposed to be reasonably accurate. So I went for the 8 minute test, which is a long warmup followed by two 8 minute time trials, which have got to be sustained efforts, and within I think 10% of each other for the test to be accurate. Now being a bit of a techno freak, just watching it trace my power and heart rate as I was riding was cool in itself, but the novelty soon wore off shortly into the first timetrial effort. I managed to sustain around 229 for the eight minutes, but was ready for the recovery before the second one. What did surprise me was that I managed to sustain the same (just) for the second effort, so a successful test all in all. If you haven't used TrainerRoad, and have got the Garmin sensors, I can really recommend it for turbo sessions (think it was Jibby who recommended it on here first), and it is quite neatly compatible with the sufferfest videos, as David has given them all the required info, so the video plays nicely in the top of the window, with power, heart rate, cadence, time etc at the bottom (I should be on commission here), and I think after the exchange rate, it works out at about £6 per month.
Anyway, I now have a couple of numbers to work with, with my FTP being 203, and LTHR at 158, which is better than the old 220 minus your age way, by about 5 bpm. That should give me slightly better results to bat at on the turbo, and only leaves me to finalise my first strength training program for the week after next, to go with the yoga, run and swim plans that are already done.
2012 should be a good season.
2012 Races

Darlington Triathlon - 1:30:01
Northumberland Triathlon - 2:53:11
Stockton Triathlon - Cancelled
Club Relays - Bloody Awesome
Last Of The Summer Tri
TonyWilson
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby TonyWilson » 01 Jan 2012 18:00

New year and no excuses now (well, I could use my birthday, but that just reminds me that I'm getting older, and I need to train harder), so I started the year as I mean to go on.
5K run, medium pace, and round in about the 28 minute mark, so not so bad, avg 5.40 per km.
This was followed by a yoga session (on the Wii, but it still counts). Going to try for at least one session per week, as I've got the flexibility of a roof joist, so need to do something.
Race season is fast approaching, and I need to shift the winter timber, so today is the start of determined and methodical training :lol: yeah right, let's see if I stick to that.
2012 Races

Last Of The Summer Tri
TonyWilson

Postby scibby » 01 Jan 2012 20:10

With the FTP test, if it was your first time doing it, i'd suggest you do it again, soonish. I think you'll find yo can do much better once you know the level of 'pain' you need to put yourself through. And also, having a number to chase really really helps...

Also, I think the 20min test is more 'reliable', if more painful - also available on trainerroad, i believe...
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby TonyWilson » 04 Jan 2012 21:02

Going to give it another go in a fortnight Scibby, and may have a bash at the 20 minute test a fortnight after that.
2012 Races

Last Of The Summer Tri
TonyWilson

Postby TonyWilson » 09 Jan 2012 22:34

Well, I'm happy to say that this years training is now well and truly underway. Today felt like a little bit of a homecoming, as I started back at the running club that I ran for as a junior. 20 years ago, I left Billingham Marsh House Harriers, after racing as a junior, and tonight, it felt like I had never been away. Walking into the football stadium, nothing had changed, it still looked the same, felt the same, the difference was me, quite a few years older. After saying hello to a few old faces, I setled with the middle group, and we went out on a 4.5 miler, easy pace, just to get the legs moving again. I had forgotten how much easier it feels when running with a group. As we came to the last junction on the way back in, a few of us split off to add another mile on to take us up to the 4.5 and back into the stadium. Getting back in, I felt pretty good, however, Thursday night is more off a hill/fartlek type session apparantly, don't think I will be feeling so refreshed after that one. But it's pushing me in the right direction.
2012 Races

Last Of The Summer Tri
TonyWilson

Previous

Return to Training Logs