The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else breaks)

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else bre

Postby md6 » 20 Mar 2015 17:51

Friday! 20 March.
Swim,
1.6km took around 31 minutes. I set off too fast and paid for it, that or I haven't done any swimming in weeks and so struggled for endurance...take your pick!
First 500 felt good, strong catch and reasonable technique. I then started to degenerate a bit, held it together to get to the end of the 1k set I was going for. Stopped for a minute then set off to do the second 1k...got about 300m technique failing and realised I wasn't going to make 1k. Stopped for a brief rest and then set off for another 300m...same issue, but more so. Gave up. I wanted to do 2k today to round out the end of the week on a bit of a positive but it just wasn't on today. I'll get back in the pool more regularly next week - and get back on the bike too, hopefully I will start to improve my fitness then.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby md6 » 21 Mar 2015 13:09

So, it turns out this training effect thing shows how hard I worked...apparently. So my score of 4.7 was 'large improvement' with 5 being overreaching...ha!

My swim it turns out was at the same 1:48/100m ave as last time. it felt much slower, however interestingly, the first 1k was at that pace, the next 300 was a 1:49 and the last 300 was 1:50...which does fit with how I felt, my technique falling apart and arms feeling heavy...roll on 'fitness' or something
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 23 Mar 2015 14:53

Monday: 23/3 RUN
So today was a little odd, i'd forgotten the HRM strap at home so was thinking i'd just take this steady and not worry about time, just aim to run each mile at whatever pace the first mile was done at if I relaxed into it...funny how things work out!
I set off nice and steady , felt comfy and not too much effort, eased along but checked pace, it was a little quick so I backed off and really tried to relax more. It worked, for all of a few seconds and I was back on it. Anyway, a nice solid 1st mile 7'31, oh that was quicker than the 7'50 or so i'd been aiming for...oh well keep to the plan Mark, just hold that pace and you're good! Until mile 2 ticked over in 7'25, not bad, only 6 seconds off. I'm not the machine I once was wrt pacing, so 5 or 6s each way per mile isn't too bad, just relax as you're still feeling good...then it happened. Someone passed me as a pretty solid clip, so I fell into step without thinking and matched them stride for stride for a few hundred meters...oops. OK no problem ease off, let them go, relax! I did but the pace seemed not to go back down, if anything it got quicker (WTF?!?!?!) so the mile ticked over in 7'15, ah screw it, I've already blown my pacing so may as well keep going and see what happens, legs were starting to feel it as the last mile of my run is the only one with any 'up' (nothing noticeable but with tired legs it is enough to feel) and on I pressed, rounding out the mile with a 6'58. I then walked back the short distance to the office to round out the 30mins required for my insurance company to accept that there is any benefit to my exercise (because clearly 28mins of intense running isn't as beneficial as 28 mins instance with a 2 min walk to cool down!) and I was done.

Feel quite good now, plan to swim tomorrow and maybe spin on Wednesday if I feel up to it...I aim to train 5 days on the trot this week!!!!
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 24 Mar 2015 14:29

Tuesday 24th March: Swim
2.1km swimming time 35'02 total time 39'49
So I had planned on doing 4x500m with a solid pace and effort level. Ha
I was forced into the fast lane as the pool was too busy before I started...so instantly my plan failed. I decided instead to do 500m and hang on as best I can. felt good for the first few hundred, then technique started to go and the last 150 or so was ragged and hard. 1st 500m 8'41 (ouch). Managed to move down to the medium lane as it had cleared a bit so I could take it more steady after a short recovery time. Set off and had no issues, 2nd 500m in 9'21. Then I started out and was going ok, a little faster than the second 500 when I had to stop as there were suddenly 4 people in the lane not 2 so we had to switch to rotating rather than half lane each. But no one had told one of the new guys who was swimming down the lane with a bloke next to him...I had a few words when he got to my end about using those funny round things on the front of his face, and that soft mushy thing under his skull. He didn't like it and the lifeguard stepped in to explain he was an idiot. He got out of the pool. leaving 3 in the lane. I started off and found the roatation wasn't too bad, I was slightly faster than the other 2 but they were both stopping pretty regularly so I could pass them when they did. I did another 500m no idea of time, then I finished up with another 200 as I wasn't sure if I was at 300 or 400 in my interrupted set and went for the lesser figure so I wasn't short of my 2k target. Finished up and 2,100m done.
feel surprisingly ok for the moment

Apparently my 100m pace improved dramatically on this averaging 1'41/100m for this swim, much quicker than my 1'48/100m from the alst few times...maybe I should get in the fast lane and force myself to swim faster more often.
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 26 Mar 2015 16:35

Thursday 26/3: swim 1.6km
Not much to say on this one I tried harder again today to see how i'd get on,
5x 500m plus 100m at the end
Ave pace 1:41/100m
500 - 8'40
500 - 8'46
500 - 8'40
100 - not sure - 1'41
total time including rests 30'48
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby Bopomofo » 26 Mar 2015 22:05

Lots of swimming here. I might try it sometime.... :?
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby md6 » 27 Mar 2015 10:28

Bopomofo wrote:Lots of swimming here. I might try it sometime.... :?

Quantity over Quality! :lol:
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 27 Mar 2015 15:43

Friday 27 March: Run. 4.03 miles 30'06
decided that I would take it steady today (and stick to it!) no rabbits would be chased, no pushing on would be done. Steady. Targeted 7'30 pace.
Mile 1, nice and easy, held it solid pace, had a few frustrations with the traffic but not too bad, through mile 1 in 7'34 av HR 134
Mile 2 same story I realised that I was starting to speed up so made a conscious effort to hold it back a little rounded out 7'28 av hr 148
mile 3 felt really good so had to make sure I wasn't pushing on again, held it steady, there was a rabbit but I held back and didn't chase, caught him and passed anyway and was then through the mile in 7'31 av hr 151
mile 4 is the home straight, I know where I am and how long it takes to get back from any point on the road (give or take a few seconds - maybe I need a new route to run at lunchtime), so I knew I had started to accelerate slightly, I made the decision to try and hold back until I was in the last 500m or so and then to let go and see how it felt, so I did. finished the mile in 7'15 av hr 158 then I rolled out the last 0.3 in 0'17 to bring up the half hour and I was done. Felt very comfortable the whole way round, very solid pacing - i'm starting to get the judgement back all in all, a good run!
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 15 Apr 2015 16:40

Tuesday 14 April.
I done a bike ride. To work. My garmin died after 5 minutes so I have no other information. but it was ok. I had intended to ride home (with a charged Garmin) but went to the pub for a colleagues 50th celebrations and didn't want to ride home pissed. I will ride home later today and see how it goes, and how lost I get/which spectacularly long route I take as I stick to the main roads/places I know from one point to another... :lol:
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 16 Apr 2015 11:41

Wednesday 15/4: cycle commute
So it turns out that the garmin didn't get a satellite for the firs 8'59 of my ride home...which took 32mins moving time but it was good anyway.

Thursday 16/4: cycle commute. 7.5miles 29'xx
The route in to the office is slightly shorter different than the ride in and is on generally 'faster' roads, although I could take the same route home it would involve more right turns across busy roads so I prefer to take a different route on back streets. That or I just got lost yesterday :lol:
Anyway, all good nice and solid ride, not too hilly although the first mile or so is pretty much up a little drag the whole way.
Looking forward to riding home, although i'm not sure my arse is, was a little tender when I sat at my desk earlier. time to MTFU I think and get on with it. Never take so long off the bike, everything get weak! :ninja:
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs