The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else breaks)

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else bre

Postby md6 » 22 Jul 2015 12:00

that's very possible - the problem being that I still think that I can run at 7'30s or quicker for 10k (slightly less than half marathon pace used to be) and I can't. I need to get out and do some proper tests rather than relying on what I 'feel' I can do, which still is higher than current levels. I used to be able to knock out a solid 1'38 half marathon, and a 41min 10k. need to realise that I was fitter then.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby IanM » 22 Jul 2015 12:24

md6 wrote:might need a new bike computer (do they work with the edge 500?)

Yep, that's what I used with mine initially.
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 22 Jul 2015 12:31

md6 wrote:that's very possible - the problem being that I still think that I can run at 7'30s or quicker for 10k (slightly less than half marathon pace used to be) and I can't. I need to get out and do some proper tests rather than relying on what I 'feel' I can do, which still is higher than current levels. I used to be able to knock out a solid 1'38 half marathon, and a 41min 10k. need to realise that I was fitter then.

If you look at what I did for the Marathon (15.5 weeks of training), I did the majority at low intensity - dd a 20 min 5k, a 1:33 HM, and then the 3:22 marathon.

I think we are of a similar ability.... but I did a lot of runs at 5:30 - 6:30/km. That's 8:50 - 10:28 per mile. (OK, the latter speed was when the terrain was hilly/off-road).

All the runs are on Strava. The average pace (including races was over 5:00/km 8:00/mile. Think the details are in the log.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby md6 » 22 Jul 2015 14:00

I might go and stalk your training. Its odd because for my first IM I was training by HR never going over about 160, and the majority were done in the 140 - 150 range...not sure why I abandoned that approach.

looks like I might have to go backwards to move forwards
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby Big_Show » 22 Jul 2015 14:53

md6 wrote:I might go and stalk your training. Its odd because for my first IM I was training by HR never going over about 160, and the majority were done in the 140 - 150 range...not sure why I abandoned that approach.

looks like I might have to go backwards to move forwards

I found I was fine sticking with one speed session a week, but the other three runs were slooooow...

Sent from my GT-S7582 using Tapatalk
Big_Show

Postby md6 » 24 Jul 2015 13:10

yeah I never really do speed sessions as such. just run a bit faster - I like progression runs as they are always good for speed when tired. But I will hold off and stick to steady pace (aim for 8'30 miles to start) and try to hold it. work out my HR zones and use that as a guide.

On the plus side my shoulder is feeling much better after 2 sports massages and some foam roller and stretching has sorted my hammys a bit - I will get a sports massage if they tighten up again soon.
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 28 Jul 2015 13:17

So, to bring this back to training logs:

Monday:
played 5-a-side at lunchtime, ran there and back (about 1.5 miles each way) plus the 50min game. Felt ok, Hr wasn't too high at all on the run there or back, kept it nice and steady. legs are a little achey this morning but that's to be expected.

Tuesday:
Swim at lunchtime. Managed to do 2k in 37'xx not sure nearer the second half than first half of the minute probably ni the 40/50s or so.
Did a nice solid 1,500m main set with a 500m c/d at the end. Felt good, my dorsal delts and triceps were feeling it towards the end of the swim. I felt like I had decent technique through the main set, deteriorated a little towards the end, but it was a decent effort and I felt good.

Also, realised that I hadn't eaten that day so it was a fasted effort which makes me happier with that than I was.

Feels good to get back at it.

Weighed myself this morning, 81.4kgs. Target is 78kgs by the time I head to Hever half. I will weigh in once a week to see how I am getting on. That leaves me 7 weeks to shift 3.4kgs or 500g/week should be easily achievable with training and a little snack discipline! Should being the operative word :cry: :lol:
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 30 Jul 2015 11:25

Wednesday/Thursday:
Cycle commute both yesterday and today.
Slightly longer journey each way now I've moved (all of half a mile!!!) but it rolls mostly uphill on the way in and downhill on the way home.
Nothing really to report other than i'm a muppet and in changing my cassette I managed to lose a spacer and so can't use the bottom 3 gears (not that I often need to but still) - you have no idea how hard it is to find a 2.4mm campag spacer (size Q) online...its taken all morning and I've not found one, well I found one in the US for $19...for a bit of bloody round plastic. Very annoying. Anyway, as you were. Plan to run tomorrow.
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 31 Jul 2015 15:06

Friday!!!! 31/7: Run 4miles
Decided following on from early discussions to take this easy and see how lower intensity feels, I've been quite happily plodding up and down the pool at reduced effort levels, and spinning on the bike nice and steady so thought i'd go back to what I know and run to a set max HR...and promptly forgot my HRM! :oops:

So I decided that i'd run to pace, at a target of 7'50/mile and while i'm at it make sure i'm running properly by wearing my VFF's. I set off nice and steady and slow (my god it felt slow) but the legs were a little tired from the week but felt nice and loose just a little fatigued. Anyway, out over my usual route and holding a nice steady pace through the first mile in 7'55, pretty happy with that, into the second and I hit 7'50 bang on pace! mile 3 ticked over in 7'49 steady, I had to slow myself down a few times during the mile (I normally start to pick up the pace there so not sure if it was actually slowing down or just that i'd subconsciously sped up and needed to rectify it - OK I do know i'd sped up and had to control it). The legs were starting to feel it a little in the quads, hammys and as I haven't worn the VFFs for a while so were my calves and ankles. Held the pace staeady into and through the 4th mile again bang on 7'5o pace, although I hadn't started the timer when I started running somehow so I had only registered 3.7 in 29'something. Left the garmin on while I stretched for a bit then stopped it once over the 30 min mark (points for my health insurer).

The balls of my feet are a little sore from the VFFs and the legs are tired, with a nice achey feeling - I've missed that! :lol:
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 04 Aug 2015 09:28

So after having a busy weekend doing house stuff, and my nephew's birthday I got back to it today with the cycle commute
Its only 8.5 miles, and I cover that in 31 minutes or so which given the traffic, lights etc isn't too bad. legs felt a little stiff after lugging about a tonne of rubble out from the back garden yesterday but otherwise I felt ok. It was a little harder effort wise to keep the speed but I didn't want to push too much. Going to ride the rest of the week if I can manage it (i.e. no other stuff gets in the way).

Also weighed myself again this morning and its going in the right direction I am now 80.5kgs. Down from 81.4 last week - ahead of target for Hever - I will have to see if this carries on I will lower my target weight a bit. Still 2.5kgs to lose in 6 weeks. If I keep up nearly 1kg a week I will aim to go at 75kgs but I know from experience as I start to reach that level it gets much harder to shift anything, so target stays at 78 for now.
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs