Bopo and the waddle to Windsor

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Bopo and the waddle to Windsor

Postby Bopomofo » 01 May 2014 18:29

As per the events thread, today I noisily soiled myself when I realised a few things:

1) Windsor OD is 6 weeks away
2) I haven't lost any weight. I think I'm hovering close to 90kg
3) I've missed all my targets so far this year
4) I have only swum 7 times this year, including today
5) I feel like I haven't done very much training at all and I feel very unfit and wobbly

To motivate myself I thought I'd open myself to the ridicule of the masses and also document the inevitable panicked descent into injury that will ensue. So, let's introduce some facts into the paranoia!

Last years totals (to the end of May) compared to this year so far:

2013 - - 2014
1040km - cycling - 475km
230km - turbo - 430km
278km - running - 245km
45km - swimming - 11km
87kg - lard - 90kg est.

Cycling is well down, but if I combine cycling and turbo I get 1270km in 2013 vs 905km in 2014. Not so far out with 6 weeks to go.
Running is also not far out, aided by a couple of half marathons.
Swimming is miles off and 2013 wasn't a great swimming year to start with.

Maybe not so bad as it appears, then. And if my 2013 efforts got me around in 2:42:44 then perhaps even from this position I could try for sub 2:40 and make an attempt to stay ahead of Tritans and CCS, both of whom will unleash hell on the bike.

To improve on 2013 I need to make sure I don't waste time in the water - although 2013 was only a 28:43 swim so nothing to get excited about - and better my bike and run times. I will also want to improve my transition times, esp T1 where I got stuck in my Huub. Again.

Aims:
Swim 0:30:00 - 1:17 slower (damage limitation)
Bike 1:12:00 - 2:32 faster (new bike, more turbo work)
Run 0:53:00 - 1:53 faster (better running generally)
Transition 0:04:00 - 0:34 faster (practice getting my kit off)

Total 2:39:00. Easy!

So, now commences the favourite BCTTT training plan: do nothing until The Fear pounces, panic train, break, have a disappointing race. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Bopo and the waddle to Windsor

Postby CCS » 01 May 2014 22:31

There - panic to planned PB in one afternoon.
Just enjoy it!
Besides, Tour of Sufferlandria; HM training - you will be fine!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Jonhinio » 01 May 2014 22:31

I'm not racing now so will be cheering you on
"Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it."

T. Alan Armstrong
Jonhinio
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby Bopomofo » 01 May 2014 23:36

CCS wrote:There - panic to planned PB in one afternoon.

Ha ha. Yes, a bit tongue-in-cheek on the PB. And also the prospects of beating you and Ade. :lol: :lol: :lol: If I can just work out where to make up the 10min you'll take out of me on the bike!!

In other news, I had my first go on the Big Green Turbo Machine tonight. Some of the set up instructions on TR seemed a bit off, especially where you contact the roller onto the tyre then screw it in 6 turns! :shock: That would buckle my rim. I had it just touching, then did exactly two full turns. What did you do?

And I weighed myself. :cry:

Mass: 90.7kg :oops:
Body fat: 23.7%
FTP 244W

Other updates will most likely be weekly summaries and less long winded. 8-) :lol:
Bopomofo

Postby Bopomofo » 01 May 2014 23:54

Jonhinio wrote:I'm not racing now so will be cheering you on

At the usual cafe stop? Or will you copy Gingertri and somehow magically appear at exactly the point I'm thinking "I want to go home" and give the BCTTTers a great big cheer? 8-)
Bopomofo

Postby scibby » 02 May 2014 10:27

Does anyone know if I can downgrade my Oly to a sprint? And are they on the same day?

Good going bop. Now shift some lard, fatty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby Bopomofo » 02 May 2014 11:29

scibby wrote:Does anyone know if I can downgrade my Oly to a sprint? And are they on the same day?

Not sure about being allowed to change at this stage, but they ARE on the same day. The sprint waves go out first, so you'd be up for a 6am start. Probably a lie in for you!

scibby wrote:Now shift some lard, fatty!

Yes, ma'am! I'm expecting a few kg to drop off fairly quickly as I reduce water retention from my recent Pizza & Beer diet. No more than a kilo per week, though.

Bloody hell I'm properly cacking myself.
Bopomofo

Postby flavadave » 02 May 2014 11:36

Hahaha! Just goes to show that the fear doesn't diminish with age or experience.

I think a good dose of fear makes it exciting, and the accomplishment will be much sweeter.

Tbh, who the f##k cares how fast you go (apart from you)? Smash yourself, laugh at your ineptitude, chase the pro ladies as they overtake you despite starting an hour later and enjoy what will be a thoroughly excellent day :D
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby jonathon.e » 02 May 2014 11:42

90.7kg

LIGHTWEIGHT?

Enjoy the short journey, it isn't as if you are trying to cram HIM training into three weeks is it.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby CCS » 02 May 2014 11:59

scibby wrote:Does anyone know if I can downgrade my Oly to a sprint? And are they on the same day?

Pretty sure you can (speaking as the idiot who inadvertently/through IT glitch entered the sprint last year) - just phone them up - they were very helpful (don't bother with e-mailing them, as response was very slow that way)
As Bopo says, sprint is the same day (just even earlier... though the womens Oly waves are also pretty early, so it's all marginal, and a very early start either way) - means you get out on the bike before the roads get horribly busy.
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Next

Return to Training Logs